One Nation One Card Yojana 2020: Online Apply/Registration, Features & Benefits
One Nation One Card Yojana 2020 National Common Mobility Card Scheme: Innovative scheme launched by the Government of India Under the Guidance of Honorable Pradhan Mantri Narendra Modi called “One Nation One Card”. In this article, we are sharing all information in an easy language like; what is ONOC scheme 2020, how to apply for this scheme and benefits and features of National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) policy.
After “one nation one tax” Government of India has launched “one nation one card”. On 4th March 2019, PM Modi launches the National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) called “One Nation One Card” while inaugurating the first phase of Ahmedabad Metro train at Gujarat. The main aim of this card is to make the payment system easier for all mode of public transport. This will eliminate various travel related issues such as the need for standing in ticket windows in Bus, train and other transit places.
One Nation One Card
Just like the concept of GST; with the introduction of one tax, citizens do not have to pay multiple taxes at various platforms and levels. Similarly, with this card, users can make payment of travel fare and other utilities just with this single card at any transport mode. It simply means with this inter-operable transport card, citizens can pay bus fare, metro fare, parking fees, toll taxes, retail shopping and can even withdraw money. This initiative of the Indian Government is based on the theme of one card usability in all payment systems.
This one nation one card or we can say National Common Mobility Card is a part of “Make in India” campaign/project of Government of India. Until now, India has to depend on a foreign country for technology. This card is indigenously developed and this proofs that our country does not need to rely much on foreign technology.
Therefore, if you have questions about this one card one card policy of the government and which we are sure you will definitely have many, you do not have to worry. We have gathered all the important information about this initiative for our readers. So, just go through the article and enhance your knowledge about this particular scheme.
One Nation One card policy overview
One Nation One Card policy simply means a single card for various transactions. With the help of this card, users can make payments through various segments such as for transit (e.g. Bus, Metro), Paratransit (parking, toll), smart cities, retails shopping etc. This format already exists in various developed nations of the world and now it will be used in India too.
One nation one card can be defined as an open loop EMV based payment card for giving a hassle-free experience to the customers at various transport modes and payment systems across the country.
This initiative was conceived by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has created the Reader prototype of this card. With the introduction of a single card, users get various benefits from traveling through various mode to shopping at retails stores and withdrawing money from ATMs. Users do not have to struggle for getting change at the ticket counters. This card will provide increased mobility and seamless travel experience to the customers.
This technology only existed in a few developed countries of the world but we too have joined that club who have this interoperable, scalable, dual interface, open loop payment card for the payment system. We can say that this card is an advanced version of the metro smart card that people use for traveling through the metro. Nevertheless, with this National Common Mobility Card, they can travel through various means of transport and can use it at various payment terminals.
Talking about the security factor of the transactions with this card: It is secured with EMV Technology. EMV is one of the globally available and adopted technology for safeguarding transactions against fraud. EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard and Visa. It is basically a global standard for debit and credit cards (chip-based cards) that ensures the security of payments at various POS terminals.
Unique Features of One Nation One Card
Have a look at some of the unique features of this initiative of Indian Government-
Important Points of One Nation One Card-
This concept of National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) is already functioning in various leading countries of the world and now it is going to be implemented in India with its indigenously developed NCMC smart card.
Let’s take a look and some of the key points of this card and understand it more clearly-
- This card is powered and enabled through the mechanism of the RuPay card.
- It is supported by an indigenously developed Open Loop Automatic Fare Collection System known as “Sweekar” and an Automatic Fare Collection Gate “Swagat”.
- With the help of this card, people can travel in Metros in any part of the country.
Along with traveling, people can also use it as a prepaid, credit or debit card with support from 25 partner banks including SBI, PNB, etc.
- It can be used at a city bus, metro, suburban railways, BRT etc. and also for shopping at retail store and merchants.
- Along with SBI and other banks, RuPay card can be issued from Paytm Payment Banks.
- It is a contactless card just like a metro smart card. It supports both offline (contactless) and online (contact & contactless) transactions.
- With the help of National Common Mobility Card, citizens can also pay for tolls and parking.
- One nation one card holders can also use this card at Discover and Diners Club International merchants and ATMs.
- Cardholders can also avail a cashback of 10% at Merchant’s outlet and 5% at ATMs when they travel abroad.
- For offline payments, you can store balance on this card. This stored value supports offline transactions across all the travel needs of the user. Since the offline transaction is permitted towards the stored value (available balance) there is a minimal financial risk to any of the stakeholders (i.e. bank or merchant) along with ensuring the minimal transaction time.
One nation One Card- NCMC Proposition
There are several benefits of an NCMC card to all the parties involved. These are-
The major benefits of this National Common Mobility Card are –
- Efficiency- With this card, daily operations at transit places become easy and fast and this ultimately improve the efficiency of the operations. Passengers or user do not have to wait in long queues for getting their work done; with this card, they can make payment instantly without any hindrance. This saves time and effort of both the consumers and operators involved.
- Accountability- The second benefit is increased accountability of the operator towards the customer. The operator gets better date insights and record of all the transactions made through this card.
Lowers the cost of ticketing operation-
This system increases efficiency and lowers the cost of ticketing. It also reduces operating cost and handling of cash for the operator.
- Interoperability for passengers- It means passenger can use this single across various transit operation systems such as bus, train, cabs, parking, toll plazas etc. The passenger does not need to carry cash and different cards for every transit operation.
Value Proposition of NCMC
NCMC is not only valuable for the customer but is also beneficial for operators and banks. Check value proposition of this card from the viewpoint of all the three parties viz. Customer, acquirer, and bank are given below-
NCMC Implementation Model
You must be thinking of how NCMC or RuPay card will work in a transport system. So, here we have shared a sample implementation Model of NCMC card in a Bus Transport system. The picture given below shows the complete model of how an NCMC card will work in a State Road Transport Undertakings (SRTUs).
The same concept will be followed at other segments like Metro, parking, toll and smart cities.
How to get RuPay one nation one card?
NCMC RuPay card will be issued –
- By any authority or member authorized by Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- On Credit/credit/Prepaid card platforms.
In simple terms, those who want to get their One Nation One Payment RuPay card supported with National Common Mobility Card are required to contact their bank.
At the current initial stage of this program, it seems to be focused largely on urban areas but with time, the government needs to work for its penetration to demographic masses including the rural population of the country.
It will bot wrong if we say that with the launch of “one nation one card”, India has moved a step ahead toward its goal of “Make in India”, “Digital India” and making India a cashless economy.
Read other Yojana launched recently:Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
If you have any query of National Common Mobility Card/ONOC then you can ask us in the comment box below and we will get in touch with you.